Posted: November 14, 2022
Deadline: December 5, 2022
Position Title: Communications and Membership Engagement Coordinator
Position Type: Temporary, Part Time (16 weeks, 14 hours per week)
Compensation: $45/hr, plus 4% vacation and 7% in lieu of benefits
Workplace Environment: Union, OCAD Faculty Association
Workplace Location: Online, some in person (OCAD University campus – must have own computer and internet access)
Job Starts: January 2023, exact date is negotiable
OCADFA represents more than 600 full and part-time employees of OCAD University, including contract and permanent faculty, teaching and research assistants, and contract and permanent technicians. We seek someone with strong communications skills who can increase our capacity for member engagement as we head into a new round of negotiations. Key initiatives involve member outreach and developing communication materials and tools for member engagement, such as regularized newsletters and bargaining updates, and a new negotiations section for our website.
- Excellent written and technical communications skills, including proficiency in MS Word, PowerPoint (or other presentation software), Excel, and preparing print and electronic publications;
- Proven success in use of social media platforms (e.g. Facebook, Instagram, Twitter) and website design (WordPress) and management;
- Evidence of amplifying the voices of equity-seeking groups, and a commitment to equity, anti-racist organizing and decolonizing political frameworks;
- An understanding of AODA and other accessibility considerations for both web and print communications;
- An understanding of and commitment to post-secondary education and industrial unionism;
- Excellent interpersonal skills and proven ability to work in a collaborative environment;
- Strong organizational, problem solving, time management, and prioritizing skills in a multitask environment;
- Ideally experienced in planning and implementing communication strategies with creativity and imagination;
- Ideally experienced in mobilization and member-education related to collective bargaining or social justice action;
- Preference given to qualified OCADFA members.
- Work with OCADFA’s President, Negotiations Chair, and Executive Director in managing communications with OCADFA members via newsletters, website, social media, and email;
- Develop and maintaining a bargaining section of the OCADFA website, and maintain social media presence;
- Design and create content for OCADFA communications and campaigns designed to increase member engagement, including but not limited to finalizing and distributing bargaining updates, media releases, newsletters, op-eds, internal communications, and community outreach materials;
- Engage members, including leadership identification and membership mapping. Develop and coordinate events, campaigns and other activities designed to increase member involving using a combination of traditional approaches and digital strategies;
- Ensure that communication plans and platforms are in compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act;
- Carry out other communication and administrative duties that may be assigned from time-to-time.
OCADFA is an employer committed to employment equity. We encourage applications from members of equity-seeking communities including women, racialized and Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, and persons of all sexual orientations and gender identities/expressions.
OCADFA is committed to developing inclusive, barrier-free selection processes and work environments. If contacted in relation to an employment opportunity, accommodations which would enable you to be interviewed in a fair and equitable manner are available on request. Information related to accommodations will be addressed confidentially.
To apply, submit a short cover letter and resume as a single .pdf file by 5:00 p.m., December 5, 2022 to firstname.lastname@example.org titled with the following format: Surname_GivenName_CMEC_application